Friday, October 17, 2008

An Explanation, Not an Apology

Seems some of my friends just can't see where my anger over this particular election comes from or why I am so insistent and pushy about it all and why just I can't admit how John McCain is an admirable person and we can all just agree to disagree and go off and sing "Kumbaya" around the campfire, holding hands.

And apparently I have a problem in explaining my very good and sound reasons for saying, "Bullshit."

So I'll put this link here and say that, while it doesn't go into the half of the many reasons I think the current GOP and John McCain are pond-sucking scum who should be tossed into a large pot of boiling oil and then flayed with a cat-o-nine-tails before their genitals are sliced off and they are drawn and quartered*, if you pretend I'm Glen and you are Ana Marie Cox then perhaps you'll understand how I hear you when you say that stuff.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/index.html

*Hopefully, sarcasm isn't being lost on anyone. But I no longer assume that.

Edited to add:

And just to make it perfectly clear that all of this has nothing to do with being some sort of uncritical, unquestioning, dewey-eyed worshipper of all things Barack, know also that I found this post from a reader at the Dish today. That reader also sees what a petty man McCain truly is (but is very nice and oblique in how he says it), but puts into words very well my hesitations with Obama. He's not perfect. Far from it and I'll be happy, once he's president, to point out each and every flawed policy or action. But I have no doubt whatsoever that, however flawed he may be, his flaws pale in comparison to McCain's or any other current headliner of the GOP.

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/10/the-roots-of-mc.html#more

2 Comments:

At 17/10/08, Blogger DingusIsTaken said...

Indignation - strong displeasure at something considered unjust, offensive, insulting, or base; righteous anger.

Enmity - a feeling or condition of hostility; hatred; ill will; animosity; antagonism.

You seem to claim righteous indignation (if I'm understanding you correctly). I'm seeing enmity. I only say this because perception is often reality, and if you really intend to give off indignation--moreso than enmity--I figure you'd like to know how it comes across.

I have a big blind spot in tone. I very easily slip into a condescending, smarter/better/holier-than-thou tone that is entirely not what I intend. It took a long time for people to point it out to me, but I see it now and can try to adjust when I'm concsious of it. (Probably don't see it as much as I think…)

So if you want to be at peace with those around you (WITHOUT watering down your opinions, and WITHOUT placating to the point of losing self) this might be a reason it is difficult. You're smart and funny and a wonderful part of life's palette. I think you would enjoy others more (as they enjoy you more) if there was less animosity infiltrating your righteous anger. I also think you'd be happier in your own right.

Just my two cents geg. I only share cuz I care. Maybe you like appearing bitter and unhappy. :P

PS - Read the blog conversation, but don't really get the cox comparison. I used to think with a McCain/Obama race I'd be happy either way. Now I actually FEAR a McCain win. Heck, you know how I felt about Hillary and even *I* would have a hard time voting McCain if she were the nominee. Never, EVER thought I'd say that. He's sold out to a dirty campaign; he's a liar; his pick of Palin was personally offensive to me; and based on what I've seen from him…I honestly wonder if he'd be a worse president than dubya. I no longer care how I felt about McCain 2000--as the Cox character seems unwilling to let go of.

 
At 20/10/08, Blogger Geggy said...

I do feel enmity, darlin'. I do.

I honestly feel that the GOP has become an immoral, criminal organziation. Does that mean I feel every Republican is immoral or criminal? No, but the people in the leadership certainly are. I want them all prosecuted and punished as the traitors I believe them to be.

I AM bitter and I won't apoligize for that. I think if you are not bitter about what they've done to this country, then you still don't understand the damage they have done, that they continue to do, and that will keep doing until someone or something forces them to stop.

They have perverted everything they claim to stand for and everyone who supports and defends them.

I have no problem with an honorable political opponent. Even during the Nixon and Reagan administrations (both led by men I consider to be abominations), I never felt the pure horror and contempt I feel for the vast majority of the GOP today.

If that causes some to dislike me, that's just fine with me. Many of those people are among those who have spent the last 8 years calling me a traitor and un-American, so excuse me if I say their opinion means less than nothing to me.

And I was never and will never be one to run in, let alone win, a popularity contest. Is it good to have people like me? Yes, it is. Am I willing to say things here on my blog in order to make people like me? No, I am not. In fact, I am writing this stuff here because I have made a decision to NOT hide my true feelings in order to go along to get along. I have taken the route of better to say nothing at all and completely removed myself from places where a passion for truth-telling is not a comfortable thing for those who participate. With the exception of this one place, a place that is mine, where I will always tell the truth.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home