Thursday, October 13, 2005

Random Thoughts on Life As I Know It

I'm feeling a bit scattered lately. I want to write, but I have nothing on which to build an entire blog entry. It might be because I'm having trouble focusing on anything for long lately. But these are the things going round and round in this little head of mine.

  • My supervisor, our Director of Enrollment Management, had a double mastectomy yesterday. Yes, you might say, many women find themselves facing breast cancer as they reach what might be called "middle age." However, we are talking about a "he" here. Dan is a relatively young MAN. A terrific co-worker, a husband, a father of two young children, he is facing breast cancer at the age of 36. I've certainly heard of men with breast cancer, but was under the impression that the few cases that are out there are usually in elderly men. Dan was told that a case like his is so unusual that, even in this region filled with great medical institutions on the cutting edge of medical research (especially breast cancer research), no one in the area has ever treated such a case. I've been through this with my mom. It's not a very pretty disease. I'm sending many positive thoughts his way, but I'm very worried.
  • I have discovered that loneliness is physical. I am not, surprisingly, missing X for his sparkling personality. I have many friends and family who I spend time with, talk to on the phone, and keep in touch with in cyberspace. I have companionship and friendship. But it's the physical aspects of being alone that are really getting to me. And I don't necessarily mean sex (although that is a part of the problem). The casual touching, a hug or a kiss, being held in bed...I ache for these things. I was not prepared for this. I don't know what to do to overcome it.
  • I'm worried about my Steelers. Yes, they won Monday night. The Bus is back, Troy Polamalu is a defensive god, and Jeff Reed and his improbable thighs always seem to come through in a clutch. But Big Ben is hurt, Tommy Maddox is out with a practice injury (and I'm not sure how much faith I have in him anyway), and we're down to our third stringer, Charlie Batch. Don't get me wrong, I like Charlie. He is a local hero and he was massively impressive in the preseason. But I'm pretty sure he's not going to be the guy to get us into the playoffs, let alone the Super Bowl. With Pitt having a transitional year with a new coach, my Steelers were supposed to make my football season a joy. But I'm worried and I won't quit worrying until and unless I see Dan Rooney in Detroit holding the Lombardi Trophy.
  • My niece, Tori, turns 13 today. This is a shocking development. I can't possibly have a teenage niece. I'm much too young and she's still just a baby, isn't she? Apparently not. I'll be attending her birthday party on Sunday. I'm informed that it's her first co-ed party. Boys? With Tori? What happened to "Ew, boys!"? And, if I'm having this reaction, I simply cannot imagine her father's state of mind at this point. Sam may not survive this.
  • Is this season of The Amazing Race horrible or what? I am appalled by what they have done to ruin this show. The whole family thing is awful and boring and I don't think there is a likeable family in the bunch. I especially detest the stupid, whining, holier-than-thou Weaver family. Which means they'll win, of course. The travel is not even a challenge nor is it exotic, with them running around America. So far, I've found this season to be like watching paint dry. Jerry Bruckheimer has some 'splaining to do.
  • I had my first guests over for dinner on Sunday. It was such a joy to be cooking a meal again. It just isn't worth doing any elaborate cooking for myself. I've really missed it. I'm not an artistic person, I don't have "hobbies," I have few talents. But my ability to cook and cook well is my one talent and my creative outlet. I have to make more of an effort to invite people over to eat so I can keep that joy in my life.

So, what's happening with you?

6 Comments:

At 13/10/05, Blogger BlindSlim~CSTL said...

Wow, you have been having a lot of thoughts going on lately.I know exactly where you are on some of them. All I can offer right now is a cyber *smooch* *hugs* and *grope*.

 
At 13/10/05, Blogger Schnookie said...

I'm sending good thoughts to your supervisor that it all goes well for him. Poor guy!

Re the lonliness ... get a cat *grin*

I agree with you about TAR. I'm kind of glad it sucks so I don't mind flicking over to the Geena Davis show.

*HUGS*

 
At 13/10/05, Blogger Geggy said...

I know, Steve. And it's just a very tiny head that all this stuff is rattling around in. That's why I won't wear hats.

Nookie! Everybody tells me to get a cat! But I have two good reasons not to: it would violate my lease (no pets!) and....how do I say this nicely?....well, lets just say I'm a dog person.

 
At 13/10/05, Blogger BlindSlim~CSTL said...

lol...geggy...well I've had some women tell me I'm a dog, so I guess you need to get me ;-)

I love my friends and spend the majority of my time with them or my kids and I completely understand where you're coming from about the hugs and kisses and stuff like that.

TAR is so bad, that I taped it Tuesday while I was home, didn't watch and then taped over it today.

*smooch*

 
At 14/10/05, Blogger jenbeauty said...

Good thoughts for your co-worker, breast cancer is tough no matter the gender.

Get yourself a pet STAT! That will cure a little of that physical lonliness. *smooch*

And your niece, Happy Birthday Tori! Yeah 13 and boys, amazing how fast they grow.

 
At 17/10/05, Blogger Glowie said...

I hate Tommy Maddox.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home